It’s always worth taking a look at the latest government strategies – In particular, the new “2023–2030 Australian Cyber Security Strategy: A Vision for the Future” – It can be found here:
In the strategy paper, the Australian Government has set forth an ambitious vision for the future of cyber security in the country. It’s is a comprehensive roadmap that aims to position Australia as a world leader in cyber security by 2030.
The strategy is divided into three horizons, each with its own set of objectives and initiatives.
- Horizon 1 (2023–2025) is about strengthening our foundations. The government plans to address critical gaps in our cyber shields, build better protections for our most vulnerable citizens and businesses, and support initial cyber maturity uplift across our region.
- Horizon 2 (2026–2028) aims to scale cyber maturity across the whole economy. The government will make further investments in the broader cyber ecosystem, continuing to scale up our cyber industry and grow a diverse cyber workforce.
- Horizon 3 (2029–2030) is about advancing the global frontier of cyber security. The government will lead the development of emerging cyber technologies and adapt to new risks and opportunities across the cyber landscape.
The strategy also outlines a number of key initiatives, including growing and professionalising the national cyber workforce, accelerating local cyber industry, research and innovation, and supporting a cyber-resilient region as the partner of choice.
The government’s new Executive Cyber Council will play an important role in facilitating genuine and transparent co-leadership on key cyber security issues. The Council will support the delivery of national cyber security priorities, including initiatives under this Action Plan.
The strategy is designed to be flexible and adaptive to emerging technological, economic and geopolitical trends. Some actions will commence immediately with the release of the Strategy, while some will be implemented over a longer period. To remain current and relevant through to 2030, the Action Plan will be reviewed every two years, with actions being updated, added and removed as required.
In conclusion, the 2023–2030 Australian Cyber Security Strategy Action Plan is a robust and forward-thinking approach to cyber security. It recognises the importance of collaboration, innovation, and adaptability in addressing the complex and evolving challenges of the digital age.
- Page 5: 2023–2030 Australian Cyber Security Strategy Action Plan
- Page 6: The Australian Government is committed to its vision of positioning Australia as a world leader in cyber security by 2030.
- Page 7: Action plan 2023–2030 Australian Cyber Security Strategy Action Plan
- Page 24: our attribution framework will ensure it continues to be fit for purpose.